Safe Lifting Suggestions:
- Squat down over the object to be lifted, keeping your back in a comfortable position without excessive bending of the spine
- Place your feet at shoulder width, or just beyond
- Keep the load close to your body, avoiding horizontal reaches greater than 16 inches. The further the weight moves from your body, the greater the effort needed to lift it.
- Use the large leg muscles for lifting
- Avoid twisting or bending from the waist and avoid jerking motions while lifting
- Do not rotate your upper body to move a lifted object without first shifting your feet in the direction you wish to move
- Do not attempt to lift a heavy object from the floor to shoulder level or above in one motion. Rest it on a bench or other steady support at about waist level and change your grip to lift it higher